People often ask what to look for in a mediator so I thought I'd share the suggested questions that the New York Court website lists as a good place to start:
What to Ask a Mediator
1. Tell me about your background and areas of expertise.
2. Do you have experience mediating a case like mine?
3. How many sessions does it take? How long are the sessions?
4. What kind of training have you had, and when was it?
5. What kind, and how much mediation experience do you have?
6. How many cases have you mediated?
7. What is your approach to mediation or mediation philosophy?
8. Do you belong to any professional organizations?
9. Can you provide references? (Some may not be able to because of the confidential nature of the mediation process.)
10. Can you mediate online?
11. How does the process end? Who drafts the agreement?
12. What do you charge? Are there any additional fees?
13. Are you on any court rosters?
1 view0 comments